Held annually, the aim of the Awards night is to recognise employers who go ‘above and beyond’ to make it easy for their employees to undertake training, exercises or to deploy on military operations.
ESPEC electrical services Senior Operations Manager Paul Wong said winning the Private Sector – Medium category was formal recognition of the continued support the Winellie-based firm provided Army Reservist Private Sarrah Grillo.
“Winning this Award is a real achievement for our company and is confirmation of our commitment to be an employer of choice,” Mr Wong said.
“Sarah is a much valued employee and we are more than happy to schedule Sarah’s work roster to accommodate her reservist commitments.
“I suppose you could say that it’s a win-win for everyone. Sarah brings well developed skills acquired from her ADF career to our workplace and we provide flexible work arrangements as a supportive employer.”
Head of Joint Support Services Division, Major General Douglas Laidlaw, AM, CSC congratulated Award winners and thanked all employers throughout the Northern Territory who support their Defence Reservist employees.
“The Employer Support Awards acknowledge the contributions made by employers of reservists,” Major General Laidlaw said.
“Every day, employers throughout the nation support reservists through a range of flexible working arrangements and policies. The support provided is not only valued by the reservist, but more broadly the entire Australian Defence Force.”
Employing a Reservist makes good business sense. As well as the personal attributes reservists bring to a workplace, there is a range of incentives on offer for support to employers.
Defence congratulates the following winners and honourable mentions:
- Private Sector – Small: PLAZART
- Private Sector – Medium: ESPEC
- Not For Profit: St Jospeh’s Catholic College
- Public Sector: School of Sport Education NT
- Honourable Mention Not For Profit: Arafura Swamp Rangers Aboriginal Corporation
- Honourable Mention Public Sector: Alice Springs Hospital – Pharmacy Department, Health Care and Social Assistance
- Honourable Mention Public Sector: Power and Water Corporation, Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services