Defence reservists and their civilian employers have been recognised across Australia for their outstanding contribution to the Australian Defence Force through the Prince of Wales Award (PoWA) scheme.
PoWA is an annual scheme that acknowledges the support provided by civilian employers to ADF reservists working within their organisations. Selected ADF reservists are rewarded with the opportunity to undertake training or development that will up-skill and benefit their civilian career.
A strong field of ADF reserve applications were received for the 2020 PoWA submission. Each award is granted strictly on merit with thirteen applications selected.
Congratulations to the Prince of Wales Award recipients for 2020:
- LT Lucas Catalano – Fire and Rescue NSW
Completing the Management and Safety in Response to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents course in Maryland, USA.
- LT Jian Chen – Woolworths Limited
Completing an Artificial Intelligence and Real World applications online course delivered by MIT Sloan School of Management.
- LEUT Nathan Ebel – Women’s and Children’s Hospital, Adelaide SA
Attending the Le Pitie International Diploma in Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation and Temporary Respiratory/Circulatory Support.
- CAPT Nathan Havlin – St Vincents Hospital, Melbourne VIC
Completing a Masters of Advanced Nursing Practice (Nursing Practitioner) through the University of Melbourne, VIC.
- BDR James Hughes – Broadspectrum, contract firefighting and emergency response at RAAF Edinburgh Fire
Attending the Aviation Firefighting Bridging Course at the International Fire Training Centre in the UK.
- FSGT Derek Long – Boeing Defence Australia
Completing a Graduate Certificate in Aviation, Human Factors with Swinburn University of Technology, Melbourne VIC.
- FLTLT Nicole Klein-Essink – British United Provident Association
Completing a Masters of Advanced Nursing Practice (Nurse Practicioner) through Flinders University, SA.
- FLTLT Scott Minchin – Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
Attending the Civil Affairs Specialist Training Course and Collective CMIC training exercise conducted by the US Army at the John F Kennedy Special Warfare Centre, Fort Braff, North Carolina, USA.
- CAPT Gareth Morgan – DXC Technology
Attending a suite of information systems security and cyber security training courses.
- LT Edward Pym – DWS Group
Completing the Lean Six Sigma Green Belt course with the University of New South Wales Business School.
- CPO Ron Schauer – Manunda Terrace Primary School
Completing a Masters of Education, Assessment of Student Learning.
- LEUT Robert Webber – Maritime Safety, QLD
Completing a Vessels Traffic Services course in Launceston, TAS.
Defence provides direct support to ADF reservists and their civilian employers through the Employer Support Payment Scheme and a range of engagement programs and activities.
Applications for the 2021 Prince of Wales Award will be opening soon, we highly recommend all reservists to consider this opportunity for themselves and their employer.