Defence reservists and their civilian employers have been recognised across Australia for their outstanding contribution to the Australian Defence Force (ADF) through the Prince of Wales Award (POWA) scheme.
POWA is an annual scheme that acknowledges the support provided by civilian employers to ADF reservists working within their organisations. Selected ADF reservists are rewarded with the opportunity to undertake training or development that will up-skill and directly benefit their civilian career.
A strong field of ADF Reserve applications were received for the 2023 POWA submission. Each award is granted strictly on merit.
Congratulations to the POWA recipients for 2023, who will be using the funding for the following development opportunities:
- SQNLDR Daniel Martin, South Australian Ambulance Service
Attendance at the internationally recognised Retrieval 2022 Conference.
- CPL Andrew Harris, Department of Home Affairs - Australian Border Force
Attendance at the Initial Tactical Boarding Officer course as well as the Marine Law Enforcement Training Program.
- LT Gabrielle Hendry, Information and Privacy Commission NSW
Online attendance at the London School of Economics Regulation Strategy Course.
- SGT Paul Waples, Queensland Police Service
Overseas attendance to undertake the Red Course, targeted at incidents where Hostages are taken and held against their will by subjects.
- FLTLT John North, Tasmania Police
Attendance at the International Association of Forensic Science Conference as well as various other police engagements globally.
- MAJ Joshua Gluhak, Deloitte
Attendance at the Space Operations Overview program at The University of New South Wales
- CPL Mitchell Grummisch, Tetra Tech International Development Asia Pacific (Tetra Tech)
Overseas attendance at the International Program for Development Evaluation Training as well as a workplace exchange with Tetra Tech London.
- LT Natalie Batge, NSW Health
Attendance at the Advanced Paediatric life support course.
- CPL Kym Baldock, Diving Adelaide
Attend the Master Scuba Diver Staff Instructor Development Course.
- FLTLT Michelle Cook, Laser Clinics Australia and Riverside Beauty
Certificate of Cosmetic Tattoo & Microblading course with the Australian Cosmetic Tattoo College.
- FLTLT Tina Hoyer, Australian Taxation Office and James Cook University
Attendance at the Harvard Negotiation and Leadership workshop at Harvard Law School
- LT Ben Stanton, NGL Projects
Attendance at the Change Management Certification Program conducted by Prosci Australia.
- CAPT Sharon Chan, Price Waterhouse Coopers Australia
Overseas attendance at the University of Otago studying Leadership, Research Methodology and Business Sustainability.
- LT Christopher Ducklin, Deloitte
Overseas attendance at the United Nations Development Program Advanced Certificate in Public Procurement in Copenhagen, Denmark.
- FLTLT Jack Weeks, Trinity Church Campbelltown
Courses at Bible College of South Australia to complete Masters of Divinity.
- CAPT Ryan Barwick, UBH Group Pty Ltd
Online attendance at a Training Program for Certified Information Systems Security Professional Certification. This is an accelerated review course specifically designed to prepare students to successfully pass the Certified Information Systems Security Professional exam.
- W01 Greg Lewis, Change your Life for Life, Life Coaching and Mentoring Services
Attendance at the 12 month Enneagram Academy mentoring program.
Defence provides direct support to ADF reservists and their civilian employers through the Employer Support Payment Scheme and a range of engagement programs and activities, like the POWA.