Australian Defence Force (ADF) reservists are highly trained personnel who bring self-discipline, focus, leadership, and world-class training to any workplace or role.
Reservists develop skills and experience through formal Defence courses, ongoing training, and on the job as they put their skills into practice.
All reservists are trained to:
- be highly effective communicators
- display initiative
- be self-motivated and goal-oriented
- manage time and resources effectively
- be self-disciplined and self-reliant
- operate effectively in a team
- manage confidently
- be leaders
Reservists may also receive nationally recognised qualifications as part of their training.
Available training includes (but is not limited to) qualifications in:
- advanced communications using computer, radio and satellite technology
- project management
- contract management
- performance management
- workplace health and safety
- first aid
- driving and operating vehicles and heavy machinery
Employers of reservists may be eligible to receive financial support
Employers of reservists may be eligible to receive financial assistance through the Employer Support Payment Scheme when their employee is undertaking Defence service.
Employers of reservists in full-time roles may be eligible for a set weekly payment equivalent to the full-time adult average weekly ordinary time earnings while their employee is rendering Defence service.
- A pro-rata payment may be made for part-time employees and casual employees may also be considered if their work is regular and reliable.
- There is no restriction on how a business or self-employed reservist can use these payments.
Employers of reservists are formally recognised
One of the ways reservists can recognise their employer’s support and contribution is by nominating them for an Employer Support Award.
Employer Support Awards are a way to formally recognise employers who have demonstrated commitment to supporting reservists in their workplace. They are well-regarded in the not-for-profit, government, and business sectors across the country.
The Awards are held in each state and territory and feed into the annual National Employer Support Awards each year.
You are supporting Australia and Australians
By supporting the Australian Defence Force Reserve, you are actively contributing to Defence capability and assisting us to support Australia and its national interests.
Brochure | Why Should I Employ Reservists?